I updated my website with the latest version of Chapter 1 of Surrender to Ruin.
Archive for the ‘Carolyn’s Writing’ Category
As many of you know, I have been working on revisions to Surrender to Ruin. The good news is that I’m finally feeling like the story is where I want it to be. I’m in a paper read through stage with the book. When that’s done, I’ll be sending it back to my editor for another look. The sum up is this: the story is complete and it’s really truly very close to a version I can send to copy-editing. But not yet.
I have revised the edited MS and wanted to go back to tidy up a few things. I ended up chopping another couple chapters and redoing the new chapter one, which is finally making me happier. Which is to say, it’s close so close. I’m mostly polishing and tidying at the moment.
Just a quick note to everyone. The MS for Surrender to Ruin is back from my editor. I am making those adjustments and hope to be done in a few days. This is pretty exciting!
I have sent Surrender to Ruin to final round editing.
That’s all I got. This is the part that’s out of my control time-wise, but I expect to have the MS back in 2-3 weeks.
Surrender to Ruin
I have sent Surrender to Ruin off to the first round of editing. I expect to have that back in 2-3 weeks. I hope, but cannot guarantee, that I can turn that around pretty quickly. Then it’s off to a second round of editing.
The story is done and I love it so so much! Honest to goodness, this book is in the final stages.
The current, unedited, chapter 1 (updated version already posted! Mostly, it was tidying up work). At some point, I’ll post additional chapters, probably 5 or 6, to the Members Only section of my website. This area is for people who subscribe to my newsletter.
My Immortal Assassin
I’ve bought back the remaining print stock for My Immortal Assassin, book 3 in my My Immortals series, so this book is reverting to me. The only changes will be a new cover (in progress), new back cover copy (also in progress) and formatting — the files are ready to go. Expect to see my version released before the end of the year.
I will be writing “prequels” to this book that will provide a new and exciting lead-in to the series, by the way, since I do not expect to get reversions for the first two books any time soon. This will allow me to set up a free or heavily discounted entry to the series. It’s been tough to get new readers for the series with Books 1 and 2 completely cut off from the rest of the books.
I’m doing another anthology with Grace Burrows, Shana Galen, and Miranda Neville. The title is How to Find a Duke in 10 Days. It’s a fun premise that I’m looking forward to writing! Look for that in September 2017.
I hope to be starting a new series in the next few weeks. Dark Elves. It’s been percolating in my writer brain for some time.
Additional projects on the schedule include a historical novella, Miss Fiona Harper’s Night of Passion.
OK, so yes, I am still working on Surrender to Ruin. The first round of revisions are done. My plan this weekend were to start a last paper read through before it goes to my editor. Last week I was pleased with the back half of the novel and really glad to see that I had very little work to do for the final chapter, which I finished Friday. Saturday was going to be that paper read through. Only, I ended up being really unhappy with Chapter 1. I love this chapter. I really do, but it wasn’t right and I decided I was done trying to make it work so I deleted it. And then I spent all day rewriting the new Chapter 1, which used to be Chapter 2 and it went really well.
This morning I reworked the new chapter 1 a bit more and then I had an opening I really really like. I printed it off and started my paper read through, with violet ink for those interested, around 11:30 AM. I got up to Chapter 7 without any drastic changes and then I had to go grocery shopping because otherwise there would be no food in the house.
And there is the Progress Report.
Surrender to Ruin is back from my trusted first pass reader. I’ll be diving into some revisions before it goes off to my editor.
I was writing and then I needed to know some details about food in the Regency and so, off to Google Books Advanced Search. . . . two hours later . . . I came across an interesting recipe for bread pudding, which I happen to love.
Take the crumb of a penny loaf, and pour on it a pint of good milk boiling hot, when it is cold, beat it very fine, with two ounces of butter and sugar to your palate, grate half a nutmeg in it, beat it up with four eggs, and put them in and beat altogether near half an hour, tie it in a cloth and boil it an hour, you may put in half a pound of currants for change, and pour over it white wine sauce.
To make a boiled bread pudding a second way.
Take the inside of a penny loaf, grate it fine, add it to two ounces of butter, take a pint and a half of milk, with a stick of cinnamon; boil it and pour it over the bread, and cover it close until it is cold, then take six eggs beat up very well with rose water, mix them all well together, sweet to your taste, and boil it one hour.
I figured it would be interesting to attempt this. My first hurdle is figuring out the size of a penny loaf. It turns out the size/weight of a penny loaf was dependent on the cost of wheat. I read a bunch and saw all the formulas and as near as I can tell a penny loaf had to weigh anywhere from 11 to 16 troy ounces. A troy ounce is 31.1034768 g (1.097142857143 ounces.) Some more googleing . . . .
16 troy ounces is 17.554285714288 regular ounces.
Let’s just say a penny loaf is about 16 ounces. I’ll get some bread and attempt this. I’ll report back.