your assistance highly desireable – MAKEOVER TIME!!

FACT: The Romance Writers of America (RWA) National Conference takes place in San Francisco at the end of this month.

FACT: It’s best to look nice YET feel comfortable at the same time.

FACT: My day job is so casual for the Systems department that Casual Friday is a dilemma. Benchmark: Wednesday, the CFO was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and Birkenstocks.

FACT: I no longer own nice clothes. I have jeans and have not worn a dress or pantyhose in, golly, six or seven years. In the next 6-7 years, this dress and pantyhose thing is unlikely to have changed.

FACT: I loathe shopping.

FACT: I have little to no sense of style. Put me in a store and I will admire pretty things while thinking people who wear stuff like that sure look cool and then I wander over to the casual stuff thinking that looks comfortable. Plus no ironing! There’s a reason all my clothes look the same.

Carolyn has a Plan

The plan is that I will wear jeans but purchase (yes a flaw in the plan as this requires shopping) really really nice tops and some fancy cool shoes that are, miraculously, comfortable.

Read the above facts carefully. Like all plans, there are weaknesses. I’ve identified one right off the bat. Another glaring weakness is that I would be in charge of executing said plan.

Yes, I need help. I need links to pictures of cool tops and fancy shoes. Because if I go shopping on my own I will come home with clothes that look like the boring stuff I have now.

In short, I need help. Your help. Your fashion sense can save an author from going to RWA looking like the CFO of her day job company.

If I have time and anybody takes pity on me, I’ll think of a prize or something.

7 Responses to “your assistance highly desireable – MAKEOVER TIME!!”

1. Megan Frampton says:

I’ll be sending some suggestions, C. Just let me think on it a bit.

2. Susan/DC says:

Have you tried Chico’s (www.chicos.com)? They sometimes have interesting jackets that can be worn as tops over tanktops. Like anywhere though, it can be hit or miss. I have a hard time looking at things online because the colors often aren’t true, but there may even be a Chico’s near you if you’re willing to overlook the Hating shopping thing.

Or maybe Shopbop.com. I’ve never bought anything there, but it seems to have a lot of stuff.

If I think of anything else, I’ll let you know.

3. Carolyn says:

Got your email Megan, thanks!

Susan/DC — I’ll check out those websites. Thank you thank you!

Awesome!

4. Susan/DC says:

Another thought for the future: subscribe to DailyCandy.com newsletter. They have a national one with links to websites and several local ones (Washington, DC and San Francisco, for example). Most of the clothing (both the shops and weblinks) are too young and too expensive for me, but some of the stuff is both affordable and attractive. More important, I’ve discovered restaurants, books, and interesting odds and ends. You can subscribe to the newsletter or just go to DailyCandy.com.

As for buying clothing over the web, it sure is easy but you’re right that it’s only when you see it in Real Life that you know if it hides those figure flaws (not that you have any, of course, but I do) or if the color in the picture is true or what the fabric actually feels like. I tend to buy the easy-to-fit stuff like tops rather than skirts or pants online; those I save for when I’m willing to be depressed in the store mirrors (the flurorescent lighting doesn’t help either).

Good luck — I’m sure you’ll look great!

5. Carolyn says:

DailyCandy. OK. off to check it out.

ShopBop had some great videos on jeans buying!

Thanks.

6. La Belle Americaine says:

Target! They have the chicest things–check out their Go collection.

7. Carolyn says:

Oh, good suggestion. There’s a Target in then next town over!