This Camel Day Is A Two Hump Hump Day.

Wednesday. Midweek. And it feels like it. Sigh.

Work – the day job work – is stressful. The times are stressful.

I’m working on the synopsis for The Next Historical and for all who know me, you understand what that means. Yes.

Synopsis Hell

Mine are terrible. They make my agent cry. Though I think I’m getting better at faking them. As a pantser, (seat of the pants writer) all I can do is fake it in a synopsis written before the book. NOTHING I put in the fake synopsis will happen. None of it. It’s all fake because I have to write the book to find out what happens and what kind of story I’ll have. Confession: I resent the time I spend thinking up stupid stuff that will never happen once I’m actually writing. Someday I hope to be at a point in my career when I won’t need to sell with a synopsis.

It’s going to be ugly while I work on it.

So far, the vague story is a couple who are friends and have been involved with others and never particularly aware of each other that way. I say never particularly aware because I think that everyone thinks about it in re the people they know of the opposite (or desired) gender. But not necessarily in a way that makes you think it could happen. But we all think about it. Or am I a freak that way?

Think good thoughts for me. But maybe don’t mention if you’re thinking that.

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “This Camel Day Is A Two Hump Hump Day.”

1. Anonymous says:

I can not understand pantsters but I admire them. My outline is my saviour. I check it before every writing session to make sure I am on track.

Would you mind showing us a synopsis from one of your books so we can see how it compares to the finished product?

2. ranearia says:

*sending good vibes your way*

3. M. says:

It is an inexpressible relief to hear that published authors continue hardcore pantsing. I thought I’d have to learn that panic-inducing, confusing cliff-sized process of post-it notes, flashcards, flowcharts, different colored pens and collages whether I want to or not.

4. Louise Fury says:

Oh my goodness…you gave my kind of writing a name. I am a pantster. I didnt know there was a word for it!
    I am kind of new to this world, but there I have it!
    Nobody could believe that I wanted to just write and see what happens. I see how to query it I will have to have a synopsis, but I think I will have a finished product by that time so it wont be so bad.

I cannot write with a outline or predict with a synopsis. My husband who writes non-fiction and edits at a magazine keeps trying to get me to do an outline and everytime I do I go right off track. I can outline about 3 chapters ahead of where I am, but thats about it.

Thanks for the post—It is good to see such a great writer with the same issues we all have.

5. Carolyn says:

Anonymous: I can’t understand plotters, but I admire them. {grin} I’ll see if I can dig up a before and after synopsis.

Ranearia: Thanks for the good vibes!

M: Just keep an open mind – you never know when a certain method might work for you. But mostly, I’m where you are.

Louise Fury: Welcome to the club! I keep a bare bones outline and like you don’t really outline more than 3 chapters ahead. There’s no point other than maybe a sentence or two, as a sort of maybe this might happen. Which I inevitably delete because something else happened.

There’s all kinds of ways to get the writing done, plotting, pansting something in between. They’re all valid as long as the book gets done. Trying to plot when you’re a pantser is painful and horrible just as trying to wing it is the same for someone who needs to plot.

6. Cybercliper says:

Wishing plenty of good thoughts your way. Pansting or whatever it is, you rock it!!! You always find your way, your books prove it…