More of Carolyn’s Holiday Extravaganza!

Today’s contest is for a signed copy of Susan Crandall’s Pitch Black PLUS a surprise.

Cover of Pitch Black by Susan Crandall In an effort to give her newly adopted teenage son, Ethan, a fresh start, Philadelphia journalist Madison Wade relocates to a small Tennessee town. When Ethan goes on a camping trip with three other teens and returns without their chaperone, Ethan’s past casts him as suspect in a crime. The secrets Madison uncovers as she tries to clear her son brings danger from unexpected places and puts her at odds with the local sheriff — a man who has been trying to win her heart.

Let me just say that I LOVE Romantic Suspense, and this storyline is exactly what I love. I would totally steal this book if Susan hadn’t sent it to me so I could give it away to deserving blog readers such as yourself.

Praise for Pitch Black

Keep the lights on bright for PITCH BLACK! — Karen Harper, New York Times bestselling author.

Prepare to be thoroughly captivated by Crandall’s PITCH BLACK world! — Karen Rose, New York Times bestselling author.

In addition to Pitch Black, I will send along a surprise. Maybe another book. Maybe a little something from one of my two favorite stores in Petaluma. Total surprise even to me. Maybe it will have something to do with the title, maybe not. It just depends how I’m feeling. Maybe I’ll send along something silly from my other favorite store in town that has some awesomely cool silly stuff. You won’t know because it will be a surprise!

To enter this contest, leave a comment with a way to contact you. In your comment, please answer the following question:

You have this weird neighbor that you have never, ever seen in daylight. He came over once when you were having a block party and the festivities went on late into the night. He’s tall, good looking but extremely pale. He has a lime green iPod. He’s an extremely good dancer and appallingly good at Trivial Pursuit. It is now 12:01 AM. You are alone in your room. It is PITCH BLACK because there’s a total eclipse of the moon and you are in bed unable to sleep until you know who won the 1974 World Series. You just happen to have your weird neighbor’s phone number and a fully charged cell phone. You call . . .

What happens next?

If you prefer, feel free to answer the question as if the weird neighbor is a woman.

Just make something up. Or go for it. Or something.

This contest is open until end of Monday, December 14. (Pacific Time)

Go.

ETA: Comments are now closed. Thanks to everyone who entered!

Tags: ,

17 Responses to “More of Carolyn’s Holiday Extravaganza!”

1. carolsnotebook says:

In reality, I call no one, because I'm a wuss and married. In fantasy world, I call him and of course he has to come over and… (fade to black, because I'm still a wuss.)

carolsnotebook at yahoo dot com

2. Jamie D. says:

Fun! 🙂

Hmm…first I might look out the window toward his house, see if any lights are on. You know, because he's the trivia god, and I *need* to know that score, dang it! Doesn't hurt that he's totally hot and mysterious…

If the lights were on over there, I'd think about calling, then wonder if maybe it wouldn't be more fun to go spy first – you know, because mysterious neighbors are actually more interesting than baseball scores. I'd probably slip the phone in my pocket and sneak over there, to see if I could find out anything about said neighbor…my heart pounding in my chest, of course.

I'd get caught for sure, because I'm terrible at sneaking around. It would be interesting to find out that rather than a vampire like everyone thought, he was actually a stripper at the local night club. Maybe he'd offer me a private dance? Which I wouldn't turn down, of course…

jdebree8@gmail.com

3. chelleyreads says:

I called and the phone just kept ringing. I hung up the phone, yet there was one last ring and it came from the other side of my bedroom door. My heart was pounding as I clutched my blanket to my chest (cue scary music–enk, enk, enk, enk). The doorknob turned and in came my neighbor, walking slowly. Being the suspicious person that I was (as soon as I saw his yellow green ipod), I always slept with a string of garlic under my pillow. I reached for the garlic and threw it at him and he proceeded to melt (Wicked Witch of the West-style).

I was left cleaning up the mess he made and I still don't have my answer. Who won the 1974 World Series?!

michelle
    bookmakeupreview AT gmail DOT com

4. joder says:

I would definitely call my neighbor. I'd apologize for waking him up but tell him I'm one of those people that can't sleep without knowing the answer to the question. We'd talk awhile and before hanging up I tell him to call me whenever he needs anything, afterall I now owe him.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

5. RKCharron says:

Hi Carolyn 🙂
    Thank you for the fun contest!
    This is a going to be rough, writing on the fly, as it were…

I call my neighbour, half-hoping he is up and half-hoping he is not. My stomach is fluttery as his deep vibrant voice asks pleasantly, "Hello?"
    "Who won the 1979 World Series?" I blurt.
    He laughs. "Carolyn, how nice to hear from you!"
    "I couldn't sleep without getting that nagging question out of my head. I'm glad you're still awake."
    "I'm a night person," he says softly, his voice sending tingles through me. "Do you want me to answer now, or do you want me to come over with your answer?"
    "Over," I say shakily, sitting up in my bed.
    "Very well," he says and hangs up.
    I go to the door and unlock it. I wonder what I am doing. There was the attraction I felt for him all night at the block party and those flashes of desire when I saw his pale handsome features as he left his house at night, walking down the sidewalk in front of my living room window. Should I lock it again? Call him back?
    He knocked.
    Too late to get cold feet now, I tell myself as I open the door.
    "Hello Carolyn," he said. "Won't you invite me in?"
    I smiled up at him and stepped back from the doorway.
    "Please, who't you come in?"
    His smile was warm and his dark eyes lit up as he entered. I found myself lost in those dark twinkling depths even as his mouth met mine in a kiss which stole the strength from the legs.
    ***
    Feeling a slight pain on the inside of my thigh where he had suckled at my skin, I turned to face him, both of us tangled in my sheets. His eyes met mine and he laughed.
    "I never did answer your question, did I?"
    "I forgot the question," I said huskily.
    "The Oakland Athletics won," he said, moving toward me again.

🙂
    Happy Holidays,
    RKCharron

6. Megan Frampton says:

Let's see–I am a wuss, too, so I would dither about calling, but then I would glance across and see if the lights were on. If they are, I'd TEXT him so he could ignore the call if he were busy, or sleeping, or whatever. Because I'm a wuss.

And then he would mock me ruthlessly for not googling the answer. And I'd help him fill his iPod with good songs (NOT a euphemism!).

7. etirv says:

Another boring wuss here… and I watch all the episodes and spinoffs of Law & Order, CSI, Criminal Minds, etc. — so weird neighbor is tempting, it;s better to be safe than sorry!

8. Julie says:

No one. I flip open my laptop, turn it on, and use the intarwebs. I'd rather stalk him online first. 😉

9. Susan Crandall says:

Oh my gosh, you guys crack me up! Now if it were me, I'd stay awake all night trying to decide, look like death the next morning when I'd then run into him at the mailbox collecting the newspaper. He, of course, would be georgous, and hurrying to get back inside before the sun crested the horizon!

Now, if I were writing a character, she'd be much braver and more decisive…I think there might be a happlily ever after involved. 🙂
    Susan

10. limecello says:

um, if I really did call – I'm a total wuss too, so would likely hang up.
    Or, ask only that question, get my answer… and hang up. Haha WIN! :X

11. Sue (okibi_insanity) says:

I would glance at the phone and debate whether to answer it or not. The fear welling inside me would help me pick the answer–let the damn call go to voicemail. I would freak out over the next couple minutes and then call my bestfriend and tell her that my freaky creepy neighbor is calling me. She would fuss about me being a scardy cat but would continue to talk to me until I calm down.

Sue
    okibi_insanity[at]yahoo[dot]com

12. Scorpio M. says:

…I pick up my cellphone and speed-dial my BFF. She needs to distract me because I am clearly obsessed with TWILIGHT and thinking way too much about Edward Cullen and imagining that all manner of pale men are swoonworthy, bloodsucking vampires with a heart of gold.

jenma76(at)hotmail(dot)com

13. Cherry says:

…I pick up my cell phone and threw it against the wall telling myself a lie that it is a self-preservation action because I am so attracted to my neighbour that it is not safe. Probably because he got secrets he is keeping. And most likely because I won't be able to stop myself from throwing myself at him.

14. Cherry says:

And, oh, I forgot to put my email add in my entry… just in case I win 🙂

Cherry
    mischivusfairy-inbox12 [at] yahoo [dot] com

15. Cherry says:

Re-posted your contest at: http://contests-freebies.blogspot.com/2009/12/win-pitch-black.html

Cherry
    mischivusfairy-inbox12 [at] yahoo [dot] com

16. Razlover's Book Blog says:

Cool thanks for the cool contest!

I would check to see if his lights or on or not and depending I would pick up the phone and say "hi, um would you like to come over to talk"?

He would say "yes" and then we would talk until dawn and he would have to go back home to his coffin to sleep the rest of the day until nightfall.

17. buddyt says:

The eldest kid comes in and asks for a glass of water, the yougest comes in and tells me she can't sleep because there is something under her bed and she is afraid.

The DH snorts. grumbles and comes half awake before turning over on his stomach.

I tend to my motherly duties and then lie back and wonder how the dream would have continued ? ?

Carol