A sad day today — Jasper 2/19/2010

Jasper The Cat

Today my 23 year old cat Jasper passed away. I’m just feeling sad. I miss him sitting in my lap. Jasper was with me when I lived in Berkeley, then San Francisco, and then Petaluma. My son’s first word was CAT uttered with crystal clarity when he was 8 months old. His crib, which was in my bedroom, had a mesh tent over it to keep the cats out (read that to mean Jasper) and Jasper used to jump on top and stare down at my son. That night, Jasper jumped on top of the crib tent, stared down, and my son said, Cat.

Despite how much he looks Siamese, in this picture taken when he was younger, he’s a Tonkinese, which is a cross between Siamese and Burmese. Obviously he takes after the Siamese part. I got him cheap because his eyes are not quite the neon blue they should have been.

It’s hard to lose a pet. We all miss him here.

Tags:

12 Responses to “A sad day today — Jasper 2/19/2010”

1. Chris says:

So sorry to hear about Jasper. 🙁

2. dyockman says:

That is so hard to deal with. I still grieve the loss of my poodle 2 years ago. Like your Jasper, he was family and had made many moves with me. My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Hugs.

3. Mary says:

My sympathies for your loss. How wonderful to have had him in your life for so long and to have such memories to cherish. Sending hugs your way.

4. Cybercliper says:

I'm sorry to hear about Jasper. I lost my Danner 5 years ago after 18 years of companionship. Nothing says 'Good Morning' like 20 pounds of Maine Coon jumping on your chest at 6:00 AM – weekends included – I still miss him…

5. SonomaLass says:

Rob had a Tonk, and would have one again it he ever got a choice. They are wonderful intelligent felines.

Much love and sympathy.

6. Patti O'Shea says:

I'm so sorry, Carolyn.

Patti

7. jacabur1 says:

Carolyn Jasper is beautiful and remember all the love you shared with this little furry friend! Believe me I can share your pain because every pet have lost since childhood still lives in my heart and miss them all every day since they passed on without me years ago!

My thoughts are with you and your family but you had a lot of years together and obviously cherished your little cat so that will help with the grieving all the fond loving memories you and your family share of Jasper.

jackie b central texas

8. Sandra Schwab says:

I'm so, so sorry, Carolyn. (((((Hugs)))) We love our pets dearly, and it's so hard to say good-bye.

9. Carolyn says:

Thank you everyone for all the good thoughts. I really do appreciate it.

10. Angie says:

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. They're so much a part of our families, and when they leave us it really hurts. Beautiful animal, beautiful memories. My thoughts are with you.

11. mackenzie says:

i had a cat named Jasper and he just passed too i know how you feel im so sorry to hear about that