My Cousin David

My cousin David was born eight years before me. His family lived in Oregon, mine lived in California, but we got to Oregon often enough that I knew I liked him. He was happy and always smiling. When I published my first novel, he wrote me a lovely letter of congratulations and excitement. He wrote me other letters over the years, and they were always funny and heartfelt, and sometimes he just wrote to tell me how much he admired my writing. One time, when Northern California was in the national news for rain and flooding, he sent me a letter with an expandable sponge in it, in case we needed it to mop up. I laughed hard when I read his letter and saw the sponge. I shared it with family, and they laughed, too. Because it was funny.

When I lived in San Francisco, he contacted me because his daughter was going to be in the city and he wanted to make sure she would be all right. I was happy to help. Not just happy, but grateful to have the opportunity. She wanted to see the Haight so while she was visiting, we went to the Haight and walked around. San Francisco is a great walking around city, and the Haight is fun.

Today, I read that the customers in the store where he worked part-time for 25 years remembered him as a happy, generous, helpful man. One person recalled that David had once given him his own paper because the store was sold out. That sounds like David. There was a video with the article, but I couldn’t bring myself to watch it.

I always thought one of these days I’d get to Salt Lake City and visit him, and now I can’t.

He was killed in a robbery, and I will miss him forever.

Update: Last week and today (Apr-20-2015) there were arrests in his murder.

Tags:

17 Responses to “My Cousin David”

1. Margaret says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. :/

2. I’m so, so sorry, Carolyn. This is horrible.

3. An says:

No matter how gifted the tongue, there are just no words to express what I’d like to say to you. I’m truly sorry for your loss … and the world’s. At no other time in my life can I think of how desperately we need more people like him to be here. The world is a sadder place because we are all diminished. My sincerest condolences to you and yours.

4. Phyl says:

I’m so very, very sorry to hear this. You all are in my prayers tonight.

5. Gaynor says:

So sorry to hear of your loss, brought tears to my eyes.

6. Pat Wade says:

So sad to hear about your loss. Your memories and the way you expressed them brought tears. Sending good thoughts to you all.

7. Marilyn says:

I saw your note on Twitter and I was hoping that you would be able to bring yourself to tell us a little bit about David, to share a bit of him with us. A “happy, generous, helpful” man. That’s a lovely thing to be able to say about someone. It’s heartbreaking to have him snatched away from you, your family, his friends, in this way. We will be holding you all close in our hearts.

8. HJ says:

How horrid for you, and I am so sorry. I am glad that you were able to get to know him and that he was so complimentary about your writing. You will be able to help his daughter through this dreadful time. I shall be thinking of you both.

9. Debra Young says:

Carolyn, I’m sorry for your tragic loss. I hope your wonderful, precious memories of him will help you bear his loss.

10. Joan says:

I am sorry for your loss. Thankfully, you have such warm memories of him.
    May he rest in peace.